Driving in Spain

Can I drive in Spain?

07 April 2009 by Anna Staford

Travelling to Spain

You must be at least 18 years old:

Driving in Spain is limited by the age of the driver. To drive in Spain you must be at least 18 years old. To rent a vehicle, you must be at least 21.

You must have a valid driver's licence:

Driving permit for Spain

If you are a citizen of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein: all you need is your valid driver's licence. If you are other country, you will need an International Driver's Licence. So driving in Spain for foreign people is not a problem. Do you want to use your car in Spain? In addition to the requirements mentioned above, tourists using their own car should be aware that they may beasked to show any of the following:

Temporary vehicle registration:

You may request it at the customs. This permit has a period of validity of six months.

Read also: Famous Places in Spain

Driving in Spain with vehicle insurance:

If you are from the European Union, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, from Eastern Europe, or form Albania, Andorra, Bulgaria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belarus, Switzerland, Estonia, Israel, Iran, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Morocco, Moldavia, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, or Ukraine: your car insurance will go by the Green Card System, which is the International Insurance Certificate of Civil Responsibility.

If you are from a country other than the ones mentioned above: You will need to get a Border Insurance (a mandatory temporary insurance for all motor vehicles). Since conditions may vary, we recommend you contact your local Spanish Consulate or Embassy for more information on these requirements.

Vehicle insurance Spain

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Approved by EU Regulators, Globelink are the leading provider of Annual Multi Trip policies and also Single Trip cover for people living in all EU countries.

Globelink Annual Multi Trip policies give cover for an unlimited number of trips with a choice of cover for Worldwide or Europe only. You can select from travel insurance policies giving a maximum individual trip duration of 17, 31, 45, 60, 90 or 120 days.

Policies for single trips are available for people aged up to 89 for European travel, or to 74 for Worldwide cover. Cover for many pre-existing medical conditions are included, others may require you to make a quick telephone call to ensure that you will be insured in the event of a re-occurrence, or in case it causes you to cancel a pre-booked holiday. To get an instant quote and arrange cover securely online fill out the forms on the Globelink travel insurance quotation wizard.

These telephone numbers will link you to Globelink's office:

All Countries: +44 (0) 1353 699082.

Spain: 00 34 966 26 5000 or +00 34 951 24 2434.

Read also: Any Vaccination Needed to Travel to Spain?

Planning Your Future Trip?

Join over 20K savvy travellers reading our monthly newsletters!

We accept

We have temporarily stopped selling new policies while we implement important changes to secure continued Covid-19 medical cover for customers, both before and after Brexit.

NEW POLICIES: If your trip hasn’t started, you can buy alternative Travel Insurance from our affiliate partners by CLICKING HERE for transfer to their website.

AMENDING EXISTING POLICIES: Extend your SINGLE TRIP POLICY by contacting us BEFORE your policy expires so you have continual cover.

EXISTING POLICIES: You can AMEND an existing policy by contacting us. Otherwise you don’t need to take any action. Your policy remains valid and in place until it’s expiry date.

We are open and available as usual on: globelink@globelink.co.uk or +44 1353 699 082 and we thank you for your understanding. More info

Leave your email and we will get in touch when new policies are available: