Staying in Touch
18 Feb 2009 by Olga Brighton
Don't forget it's worth staying in touch with those back home when being away from home and having the perfect opportunity to do your own thing.
Here are a few things to bear in mind before you go:
- Tell friends and family your plans before you go and keep in regular contact, especially if you change your plans. If there's an emergency, at least people will know where to start looking for you.
- Make a copy of your itinerary and other important documents, such as your passport, your travel insurance policy, tickets etc. Leave these with a trusted friend or family member back home before you leave.
- Consider taking a roam-enabled mobile so that you can contact people at home and vice-versa.
- Set up an email account such as Hotmail or Yahoo! that you can access from anywhere in the world to help you keep in contact. There are public internet cafes in most major cities around the world and it's a good way to inform those back home of where you are and what you're doing.
- Don't promise too much. Telling your parents you'll call home every day is unrealistic and will only cause them to worry when you don't. If you are to be out of reach for a few days, let family and friends know where you're heading to and with whom. Also let them know when you plan to be back in touch.
Read also: Travel Problems and How to Prevent Them