Travel Insurance Tips
In order to avoid common cases of burglary while being on a holiday, please, take necessary precautions before leaving your house. Here are a few tips to help protect your home from burglary whilst away from your property.
- Make sure your home looks occupied. Ideally ask a trusted neighbour or a friend to look after it (collecting mail, watering plants, feeding your pets etc).
- Don’t leave your curtains closed in the daytime as this shows the house empty.
- Use automatic timer switches to turn your lights on when it gets dark.
- Cancel any regular deliveries such as milk and newspapers.
- Avoid discussing holiday plans where strangers may hear details of your absence from home.
- Cut your lawns before leaving your property and keep shrubs to a minimum.
- Uncollected mail is a sign that you are away. The Royal Mail ‘keepsafe’ service will keep your mail for up to two months while you are away.
- Consider leaving important documents and valuable items with other family members or a bank. Or lock them in a safe.
- Do not put your home address on your luggage when you are travelling to your holiday destination.