Brexit and travel

BREXIT Update – Are Your Travel Plans BREXIT-Ready?

07 October 2019 by Christina Sharp

Travel Information

Will your travel plans be impacted by Brexit?

Latest events in UK politics have shone the spotlight on Brexit and travel in recent weeks. As we hurtle towards the official Brexit date of 31 st October 2019, here’s a round-up of the latest government advice on what it means for travellers. Most travel related concerns are around travel transport disruption.

Will flights, cruises, ferries and Eurostar run?

Cruise travel

The good news is that the European Commission and UK Government have agreed that UK airlines can still operate between the UK and EU and vice versa. Same goes for Eurostar, Eurotunnel, bus and coach services (although some coach/bus disruption to non EU locations like Andorra and Switzerland may occur). Ferry and cruise services mostly operate under International rules, so they will continue to run.

Will my passport be valid?

After Brexit you’ll need at least 6 months left on your passport from your date of arrival if your passport is issued by the UK, Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Jersey. Rules may differ to some locations - check on GOV's website.

Read also: Top 7 Reasons for Travel Disruption & Trip Interruption

Will I need a visa?

You won’t need a Visa for short trips (anything up to 90 days in a 180 day period) in the Schengen area, or EU. Check the latest on FCO's website. You may need to show Passport and return travel document when going through Borders.

What about my drivers licence?

Brits living in the EU should exchange their UK Licence for local EU issued Licence before Brexit, or you may have to take a new driving test. Short term visitors to Europe will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) and if taking your own car you’ll need a ‘green card’ from your car insurer (allow 3+ weeks).

Travelling with a pet?

Travelling with Pet

After Brexit you can’t use the existing pet passport scheme. You’ll need to follow different procedure which take 4 months. See pet travel to Europe after Brexit.

Should I buy travel insurance?

Always get appropriate travel and medical insurance before going abroad. Especially as your UK registered European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may no longer be valid after Brexit.

It’s well worth buying your travel insurance before 31st October 2019 to avoid risk of Brexit uncertainty.

What happens to your travel insurance choices after Brexit?

The UK offers more travel insurance choice than any other country and our products are among the best and most reliable in the world. If you are an EU resident, you could have less options if the UK leaves with No Deal because UK based providers won’t have permission to sell to EU residents.

Limited choice is never good for consumers, so buy your travel insurance now, or if your Annual Multi Trip policy is due to expire soon, consider renewing before Brexit.

Travel insurance choice

Deal or No Deal, Globelink are safeguarding ‘business as usual’ after Brexit and have made the necessary transitions to ensure we can continue selling Globelink travel insurance to the UK and EU community.

Globelink products are underwritten through Lloyds, the oldest and most respected insurance market in the world. Lloyds have already published a statement confirming they will continue to honour their commitments, including payment of valid claims.

If you’ve got travel insurance with Globelink you don’t need to worry or take any action. Globelink policies already purchased, for travel before, during or after Brexit, remain valid and cover continues as per your policy terms.

Protect yourself and your loved ones with travel insurance, because mishaps happen. Even if you have already travelled you can get yourself covered.

Read also: Top 11 Questions From British Expats

Planning Your Future Trip?

Join over 20K savvy travellers reading our monthly newsletters!

We accept

We have temporarily stopped selling new policies while we implement important changes to secure continued Covid-19 medical cover for customers, both before and after Brexit.

NEW POLICIES: If your trip hasn’t started, you can buy alternative Travel Insurance from our affiliate partners by CLICKING HERE for transfer to their website.

AMENDING EXISTING POLICIES: Extend your SINGLE TRIP POLICY by contacting us BEFORE your policy expires so you have continual cover.

EXISTING POLICIES: You can AMEND an existing policy by contacting us. Otherwise you don’t need to take any action. Your policy remains valid and in place until it’s expiry date.

We are open and available as usual on: globelink@globelink.co.uk or +44 1353 699 082 and we thank you for your understanding. More info

Leave your email and we will get in touch when new policies are available: