Best Ever Globelink Festive Season Security and Travel Tips 2019
16 December 2019 by Christina Sharp
Keep Christmas the most wonderful time of the year with our best ever security & travel guide this festive season.
Security and Safety Tips
Will your home be unattended over Christmas?
- Popping out? Don't leave a note for couriers. Use online tracking services to designate a safe location, or arrange re-delivery.
- Treat yourself to an early Christmas gift of an automatic timer for lights to deter thieves.
- Don’t close curtains or blinds. It’s a sure sign that you’re out for a while.
- Don’t announce travel plans on social media, or tag your exotic location on Facebook.
- Avoid surefire give-away answerphone messages like “We’re in Bermuda for Christmas…”.
- Ask neighbours or friends to open and close curtains and park on your drive for that “I’m home” impression.
- Hide all house and car keys out of sight and nowhere near doors or windows.
- Fit multi-point lock system and anti-lift device to sliding doors so they can’t be lifted clear from their frame.
- Check your fairy lights carry a British Standard logo or EU equivalent to avoid fire risk.
- Switch off decorative lights at the socket when you’re asleep or out.
- Be wise when throwing away packaging. Opportunist burglars will know exactly which house has the best treats for them otherwise.
- Don’t leave tempting piles of wrapped prezzies under your tree and visible from outdoors.
- Make a list and check it twice. That way you will remember everything.
- Plan your route in good time and have a back-up plan where possible. Check regularly for changes, cancelations, scheduled works. Especially on the day of travel for unexpected hiccups.
- Don’t leave essential Pre-Travel Car checks ‘til the last minute.
- Get stuffing! Utilise shoes you pack to the max, by stuffing them with other small items.
- Pack clothes items that can be dressed up or down to suit multiple occasions.
- Your mince pies may be legendary family favourites, but if crossing borders, check food restrictions.
- Most airlines won’t allow Christmas Crackers, party poppers, fireworks, or sparklers.
- Don’t pre-wrap gifts in case you’re selected for security checks.
- Leave space for any gifts or goodies you might pick up while away.
- Avoid problems at home by keeping heating on low and insulating outdoor pipes.
- Don’t leave home without Travel Insurance for those unexpected mishaps while you’re away.
- If you’ve already travelled just choose an Already Travelling Policy from Globelink.
Read also: 5 Unusual Christmas Activities While on a Trip