Ultimate Christmas Home Security and Travel Tips
21 December 2018 by Anna Staford
Find out how to avoid a Christmas Calamity with our latest guide to staying safe this festive season.
It’s worth making a list and checking it twice, whether you’re travelling, or staying home for Christmas. Keep safe with www.globelink.co.uk Ultimate Christmas Home Security and Travel Tips.
Decking the halls?
- If you’ve decked the halls with fairy lights, check that they carry the British Standard logo or EU equivalent. They’re much less likely to be a fire risk. Switch lights off at the socket when you’re asleep or out. If installing outdoor lights, check they’re specifically designed for outdoor use.
- Check what you do with packaging after you’ve opened gifts. Otherwise opportunist burglars will have an easy job seeing what Christmas treats you have for them.
- Avoid your surname being visible in your recycling. Criminals can get your number from directory enquiries and call to check if you’re home.
- Avoid surefire give-away answer machine messages like “We’re in Barbados for Christmas, leave a message!”
- Your home unattended over Christmas? Sadly burglaries increase by an astonishing 30%, as empty homes full of gifts make rich pickings for nimble fingered burglars.
- Give yourself the best Christmas gift and invest in an automatic timer for lights. Don’t draw curtains while out, it can send a clear message that you’re not home.
- Do you have sliding back doors? Stay secure with a multi-point lock system and get an anti-lift device fitted so doors can’t be lifted clear from their frame from outside.
- Don’t leave spare keys in that clever outdoor hiding place!....you can bet your last mince pie that if you’ve thought of it – so will professional burglars.
- Popping out? Don't leave a note for couriers telling them. It’s surprising how often people do! Message instructions on where to leave parcels if you're out.
- Move car and door keys out of sight and nowhere near doors or windows.
- Ask neighbours to collect post; open and close curtains; and park on your drive for that “we’re home” impression.
- Don’t announce travel plans on social media, or tag your location on Facebook unless your home is secure.
Driving Home for Christmas?….
Plan your route well ahead and check traffic reports on the day for unexpected events.
Read also: Already Travelling for Christmas? Forgotten Travel Insurance?
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire?...
- Your turkey stuffing, or mince pies may be legendary family favourites, but if you’re crossing borders, check food restrictions. Also most airlines won’t allow Christmas Crackers, party poppers, fireworks, or sparklers.
- Avoid pre-wrapping presents in case you’re selected for security checks.
Jack Frost nibbling at your nose?..
Check the weather at your destination and pack accordingly. And escape an unwanted Christmas catastrophe of a burst pipe by keeping heating on low and insulate outdoor pipes.
All I want for Christmas is my two Front Teeth...
- Unexpected mishaps and accidents do happen and nothing will dampen your Christmas spirits like extortionate Medical bill.
- Ensure you and your loved ones are covered by a decent Travel Insurance policy. Even if you’ve left home it’s not too late! Just buy an ‘Already Travelling’ Policy from Globelink.
Visit www.globelink.co.uk, or call (UK) +44 1353 699 082 or our Spanish link line 96 626 5000.