02 June 2016
Mount Zao is the location of one of the most unique zoos and animal shelters one will ever find. It’s called the Zao Fox Village. The shelter plays home to over 100 foxes, most of them very playful. These cute cuddlies are allowed to mingle with visitors and run around the premises. Read also 11 Must-Visit Gardens in Japan The shelter was established in 1990 and has been entertaining guests in a world run by foxes and fox lovers. The caretakers focus their attention in feeding and caring for six species of foxes that come in a variety of colours. The most common of these is the Japanese red Fox. Best time to visit: summer and spring
- Fox food must be hidden and must only be given at the platform assigned.
- Never put any part of your body inside the cages as these foxes are not tamed. These cuties do bite.
- Baby foxes are available for hugging at an extra cost and there is an assigned time limit to it.
- It is important that you do not carry anything that will hang from your body as the foxes will try to jump at it and take it. Things like scarves and cameras have been snatched by these sneaky cuddlies.
- Feeding the foxes food that you have brought in with you is strictly prohibited. The reason for this is that all of the foxes have strict dietary restrictions. You will be fined 5,000 JPY and escorted off the premises if caught.
- Never leave your children unattended. Make sure you always hold their hand or carry them to keep them safe.
1. The guides take you to where they nurse foxes that are injured or sick. After that you get to view the baby foxes. Then you move onto the natural habitat for the foxes.
2. Once you reach this point, you can walk freely with the foxes, with no time restrictions.
3. There is also a souvenir shop where you will find their very own Fox Village Candy and lots more.
- 1000 yen for adults,
- 600 yen for older children
- Small children go free- Snacks for the foxes and rabbits are 100 yen each