Every holiday period people pack their bags and head off in search of some well-earned time off. Some travel alone, others take families and friends. They are heading to warm seas, green forests or high mountains for some rest, relaxation and to recharge batteries. Ensure that your travels go without a hitch - this article will help you:
You may also be interested in How to Plan a Trip Like a Pro
Two days before you leave:
- Take care of your mail. You don’t want strangers knowing you are away with a pile of newspapers and letters at your door. So make sure you requested to put your mail on hold or have someone pick it up for you
- Make sure someone looks after your pets.
- Pay off your bills or schedule automatic payments to avoid any late fees.
- Check all your gadgets, clothes and footwear that you will need. Ensure they are all good to go, or sort out replacements.
- Check your first aid kit and be sure you have restocked all necessary items.
- Inform your friends or relatives about your itinerary and the date you are coming back. If you think there is no need, watch the movie “127 Hours”.
- Buy a suitable travel insurance to make sure you are covered in case of any mishaps.
To find the best travel insurance policy for you click here
The day before you leave:
- Clean out perishables from your fridge and take out all the rubbish.
- If you have an alarm system fitted in your home, inform security service that you will be away.
- If you have plants, leave the key with your friend so he\she can water them.
- Change you sheets and wash your laundry. There is nothing better than coming home to a fresh bed for a weary traveller.
- Create an automated email response to let people know that you may not respond.
- Print your tickets and make copies of your passport, insurance policy and credit cards. You can have paper copies with you or scanned copies in your mobile gadget in case you lose these items on the trip.
- Check the weather forecast at your destination and revise luggage accordingly
- Confirm hotel reservation.
- Upload and install on your mobile device all the necessary applications - guidebook, translator, navigator etc.
- Fully charge your electronics and don’t forget to pack your chargers and adaptor too.
- Call your bank and let your credit card provider know you are out of town to avoid card blocks in overseas locations.
- Make a checklist of things to bring and double check it. The most important are money, confirmation numbers, prescriptions, itinerary, emergency contact numbers, passport, chargers and tickets.
- Check your wallet and remove items you do not need for your trip.
- Update your work calendar and reschedule, cancel or postpone all the appointments.
On the day you are leaving:
- Pack all the necessary documents, tickets and electronic devices in your carry-on luggage.
- Close and lock all your windows and doors properly.
- Wash your dishes and clean the kitchen.
- Unplug and switch off all the electronic devices.
- Water your plants and feed your pets.
- Close curtains and blinds and ensure you neighbours / friends are lined up to feed your pets/check on your property.
- Make sure you don’t have prohibited items in your carry-on and have all liquids below 100ml in the correct disposable plastic carrier.
- Be sure your tickets and documents are packed in an easily accessible location
- Pick up something to read and eat. Don’t blow your budget at the airport by forgetting these items at home.
Learn How to Save Money at the Airport
Hopefully, these little tips will help you get ready for your holiday properly. Try to be prepared for everything and travel safe!